Name: Medzhibizh Castles
In the small town of Medzhibizh (Khmelnytsky region, western Ukraine) there is a
wonderful castle which luminous and crenellated profile lends a peculiar and
enchanting appearance. It was built between the Bug and the Buzhok rivers in
14th c. on the place of older wooden fortress. The castle was rebuild in 16th c
.when it became the fief of the Seniavsky magnat family. The new system of
fortifications was created . In the inner yard of the castle the small church
and the barracks are preserved (There is an interesting museum of the
castle's history in them) . The church was build in 1564 and was
reconstructed many times-it belonged to Catholic, the Orthodox ,it was closed
during the Soviet period and given back to the
MEDZHIBIZH CASTLE: The magnats of Zaslavsky family rebuild the castle in the middle of 16th c. The missions of that family was to protect the south borders against the Turkish invasion. (Medzhybizh was laid in the centre of Kuchmansky Shlah (the way used for Turkish to take "jasyr") .The castle was survived the siege during The Liberation War in 1648-1657 lead by hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky. The stronghold was a residence of Prince Rakoci the first for a long time. This man wanted to become the king of Poland but was decieved by his own servants. During his reign there was a big collection of Persian carpets and china in the castle.
The above information and pictures were provided by Sergey Gnap.
Have you visited a castle?