Name: Ostrog castle.
Location: Rivne region
It stands in Rivne region, on the border of Khmelnytsky region. The castle
was a fief of Prince Konstantyn Ostrozhsky, the famous Ukrainian defender of
faith and mecenate. Here, in his town,one of the first Ukrainian printed books
appeared, among them The Ostrog Bible , a real masterpiece of printing. The
castle was built in the 14th c at the place of The Kyiv Rus fortress. The
stronghold stands on a little hill and
surrounded with the Horyn river. The plan of the castle is irregular cause of relief. There was another, so-called "Blyzhny"castle supported the
defensive abilyty of this fortress,but it was not preserved. Nowadays all the complex
of Ostrog castle consists of Round Tower, Murovana Tower, walls, the
church and a bell-tower. Round Tower is made out of stone and bricks in 16th c., has 3 stories ,the
lower part of it has 3 contrforses, the upper stories have gun-slots .The beautiful crenellated roof is an evidence of Renaissance origin of this
tower. Murovana Tower was at first a donjon. It was the first stone defensive
building of the castle's hill. In 15th-16th cc. the tower was reconstructed, the rectangular story and contrforses were added, gun-slots and vault were
rebuilt. in the end of the 16th c. the decorative Renaissance elements were added. The plan of Murovana Tower is almost rectangular with contrforses from
3 sides ,has 3 stories.There are 2 inner yards inside. The "Bohojavlenska" church is the link between the
Ancient Rus sacral architecture and Ukrainian architecture of 16th-17th cc. There are no data
about the time of erecting this church in literature. On the north wall of the building one can see the inscription "1521". Some historians think
it's the date of church's reconstruction, other believe the temple was built in 1521. The church is made out of bricks, there are 3 naves, 3 apsydes and 5
domes .The north defensive wall has 4 gun-slots and a watch terrace. The castle entrance was through the arch of the bell-tower built in 1905.
The remnants of the outer castles are Lutsk and Tartar
Towers. Lutsk tower was the town gate and a fortification at the same time. It's a
characteristic Volyn building formed by merger of a castle gate and a barbacane.
Tartar Tower defended the town from Novgorod-Volynsky side. In plan it's a
union of oval and a quarter. Ostrog castle was restorated in 1980s.
Have you visited a castle?
Do you know something about a castle?
If so, write something about it here.
Review this castle