Location: Lviv region
Now it's time for a gem of Lviv region-a castle in a village of Pidgirtsy, (3
km away from another beautiful castle, in a town of Olesko) The castle
stands in the centre of the village and tourists can see it from the highway
Kyiv-Lviv. The building is one of not very numerous examples of the late
Renaissance in Ukraine. The project of the castle was created by French
engineer Gijome de Boplan, the construction was made in 1635-1640 .The
complex consists of the main building and 2 side pavilions. . A deep moat
surrounds the castle from its 3 sides and there are high wall around the
castle. The main entrance leads through the entrance gate made out of stone
and decorated with columns. An inn and a "corchma" (a kind of a
the Middle Ages) for numerous guests and their servants were built near the
stronghold-and these buildings survived all wars and Soviet period. Later the
hetman kept his horses there.-in the houses decorated with columns , mansards
and Baroque carving!
In the second part of the 17th-first half of the 18th cc. Pidgirtsy
fief of Koniecpolsky and Sobiesky families. The king of Poland Jan lll
Sobiesky often lived in the castle,l iked to hunt in this area .In 1720 the
castle was bought by Rzewusky magnat family. The balls went on for
weeks -with fireworks, cannons shooting and military parades . Waclaw Rzewusky
was a collector of antiques and the castle was home of a huge collection of
ancient furniture, paintings, arms and books. Famous sculptors, artists and
decorators took part in decoration of the castle's interiors. A big part of
their work are today on display in Olssko castle. After the WWll there was
sanatorium in the castle, now it's a museum. The building was restored in 1956.
The above information and pictures were provided by Sergey
Have you visited a castle?
Do you know something about a castle?
If so, write something about it here.
Review this castle